Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Book Two - Determination on Life's Road: 3-6

CHAPTER  3

CANCER MARKER TOOLS

I said before that there are books out there to learn from. There are also pamphlets. As I was leaving after having my chemo back in December, I found four interesting pamphlets which I picked up.

Do you know what a cancer marker is? I didn’t until I read this one pamphlet. It’s a substance [usually a protein] that the body produces in response to cancer. Some tumor markers appear in non cancerous conditions as well.

Tumor markers can be helpful instrument in determining in recurrent disease when used on regular basis and in combination with other tests. Recurrent disease is cancer that has returned two years after previous treatments.

Monitoring treatments may be useful to test some markers. In order to adequately access your condition, results of any tumor marker test will be carefully considered by your doctor along with your medical history, physical examination and additional lab tests. My tumor marker is CA-125 cancer count antigen. That gets checked. Mine has been checked once every month. It’s measured by blood work, and is considered a standard tumor marker for epithelial ovarian cancer. More than 90% of advanced ovarian cancer patients have ca-125 levels above 30 U/MI.  

What does rise in CA-125 mean? A serial rise or continuous rise over a period of time is much more reliable in monitoring your response to treatment. Regular testing will provide more consistent and more accurate pattern of your levels. For this reason, serial testing of CA-125 is very useful during therapy for recurrent ovarian cancer. Because some people may have a rising ca-125 at the beginning of therapy, your levels may be measured periodically during treatment to establish a reliable pattern.     

Last summer my CA-125 went up twice. That’s when Dr. Musa asked me what I wanted to do. I opted for chemo which I got started on that very day. What other conditions can produce high CA-125 levels? The serial CA-125 test is more reliable when combined with some or all of the following-Ultra Sound, Pelvic Examination, Imaging Studies [CT Scans, MRI, Pet] [Biopsy Specimen] sample tissue removed from the body.

I had at least six CAT scans, within the last 4 years. I had the last CAT scan the twelfth of December of this year (2006). I reckon I’ll be going for more from time to time. I also believe I’ll get pelvic examination.



CHAPTER  4

UNDERSTANDING BLOODWORK

There are five different kinds of blood counts. There are three which I am familiar with. They are the red blood counts, white blood counts and platelets. They all are called the CBC’S [Complete Blood Counts]. Do I need them all checked? Yes, I certainly do! CBC’S can help detect low/ high blood levels so they can be taken care of before they become a serious problem.

I have been given Procrit in shots for 5 months now. The Procrit rebuilds red blood cells and more red blood cells can mean more strength. Red blood cells normally live two months then wear out and must be replaced. Procrit is to keep ahead to hopefully avoid another blood transfusion. I’m also taking iron tablets to help along with the Procrit each time I go for chemo.
 
                                                                                            
 CHAPTER  5
 
STRENGTH DURING CHEMO    

Although chemo helps eliminate cancer cells, it can also eliminate healthy red blood cells and reduce red blood cell production.

I have learned I have to preserve my energy for few days before and after chemo.. So I only do what’s important then relax. Procrit is for treatment of chemo related anemia in patients with most types of cancer.                                   


CHAPTER  6

MOVING AHEAD

I had an appointment with Dr. El-Hassan the eighth but he wasn’t in that day so I saw his partner. He ran a scan on my left kidney. He had pictures afterwards of it and said my kidney isn’t working good. My stent has to be changed.

I went in for pre-testing this morning after I had the CAT scan the twelfth. I didn’t have to wait very long. I also had a good talk with the anesthesiologist.

I went in early the next morning. I was told to expect a little more bleeding this time. Guess what! I had very little and that wasn’t until Friday. I was given a prescription for antibiotic when I was released. We left at 12:30 and took care of that after lunch, at Kinney’s Then we came back to my apartment.

I had symptoms of a head cold that night with sneezing, wiping blowing. Taking Benadryl for few days took care of that.                                  

I’m going through a waiting game. I’m waiting to hear the results of the CAT scan. I aim to go with which every way the decision is made. A few times when I waited in Dr. Musa’s office, I noticed a few pictures from where I sat. One picture I saw was one with a Bible in his hand. I’m not a gambling person but I bet he goes to the Lord for help and direction with his work as a doctor. So with that, having him as my cancer doctor, oncologist and surgeon, I’m in very good hands with him and the Lord.             

That’s no matter what news I hear. I believe things will work out and be kept track of in regard to my health. So again, I hope to have convinced Dr. Musa that I know it will be all right. I know he’s doing his best. Whatever questions I had and concerns I had, they faded away. I’m at peace with it.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book One - The Potter and the Clay: 1

Chapter One The Potter and the Clay             This story is to only show how the Lord has worked and still working in my life. I was...