Saturday, November 27, 2010

Book One - The Potter and the Clay: 2

CHAPTER  2
MORE OPPORTUNITIES

            I only mention names in this whole story from whom I got permission. Much has happened since the first chapter. I also have learned much more and still am learning. When I first started at the hospital in the kitchen, I was in the dish room very often. Sometimes I’d be on the lunch line putting milks and juices on the trays. There are 8 different diets. I had to watch for which diet to put what milks and juices on the trays.
            A few times I was trained on specials and cold foods. Those two jobs consist of nourishments, entrees, ensures. I tried it and discovered [and I believe the staff knew] doing those two jobs weren’t for me  I knew they had certain time to get trays out and delivered. I didn’t think it was fair to hold them up. Maybe someone else but it wasn’t going to me .
            I used to think doing those jobs would be neat if I could do them. They would keep me out of the dish room. But I changed my mind. I discovered working in the dish room was better and less frustrating and stressful. I felt more comfortable and sure of myself and what I was to do.
            However, since then I’ve  been  passing and collecting trays. Those jobs may not be glorified nor glamorous but that’s not important to me. But doing a good job well with a good attitude behind it is. It paid off too as I always had a good evaluation every year.
            I feel that my responsibility was to be on time and dependable. I passed a wrong tray twice. I felt if I did it again, I’d be out the door. So I felt I better leave before then. But my boss heard about it and had a talk with me. He told me to take 6 minutes instead of 3 to check each tray with each bed. He didn’t want me to leave.
            I was still afraid of making the same mistake again for awhile. But then I asked the Lord for help. I should’ve done that before. Maybe I could’ve avoided that. It got better as time went on
            I remember one night at work. I was thru collecting trays and doing garbage. I took the dumpster down to the basement. There wasn’t one to be brought up though. I told my boss. He sent me down again but no dumpster in sight. So I told him again. That time he was little irritated. [He was helping in the dish room]. I wasn’t very happy but said nothing.
            Shortly after I got home and was about to take a shower [thankfully I had my robe on]. My boss buzzed me then came to my apartment. He came over to apologize to me. Evidently he went to the basement and found no dumpster there either.
            I have learned in the past that you don’t make a commitment unless you’re sure you’ll follow thru with it. I have rejoined up here at this church. I haven’t been able to get to my home church because of work. So I renewed my membership here.
            I ask myself –Now What? Then one Sunday morning, I happened to think of this brother and sister in a handicap class.  When their teacher wasn’t there, they had to go to a class out of their league.
            I asked the Superintendent of Sunday School about it. The teacher wasn’t there that day so I taught. I would either teach or help the teacher. I enjoyed it. I was even getting feed back
            I became friends with this lady in the Volunteer office. I met her one night. She brought down the board as she did every night to prepare it for the next day to  leave in the lobby. We started talking.
            Then one night when I was collecting trays, I went in her father’s room to get his tray. This friend introduced me to her parents. Her mother and I became good friends. We were together a lot when I wasn’t working. There were no arguments or disagreements for six years. Can you imagine that? Then she was sick for a long time. She couldn’t be alone either. Within a few months she passed away.
            In 1990 the new Pastor and I was talking. He asked if I ever considered getting my G.E.D. The more he talked, more I got interested. He suggested that I talk to the Administer of our Academy who is Pastor Miller. I did just that and he had me call BOCEES.
            I called the man I knew at the Murray Center where I had worked. He not only was pleased, but gave the name of a woman and number to call. I did that before I went to  work. She told me I needed be pre-tested. That was okay with me.
            After I was pre-tested, I was told when and where to go. I was on my way back to school. Yes! I was to start the 8th of July. My class was downtown in some church. I’d go Monday – Wednesday from 8:30 to 11:00
            I can remember the first morning. I got up at 6:00 to get ready then walked downtown. I got there but the door was locked. I said: “What! He must not be here yet.” Then two girls came along and waited with me. They said something about having fun. I was thinking: “I don’t know about you but I’m going to work for My G.E.D.”
            The teacher finally came in and I followed him in. He had to get his coffee. I was anxious to get into those books. He gave me a math book after He ran the multiplication tables over with me. Finally! I could get to work on my math.
            I never saw so many formulas with math.  Eventually I got introduced to geometry, algebra, ratio proportions, and percents. Percents really was frustrating. All of that was going to be on the big G.E.D. test. He was urging me to take that test in January. He worked with me to get ready for it. I went for the test. We went Friday night and Saturday morning. I lacked 7 points of passing it because of my math. So I worked some more. I even took my stuff and went to the library. I didn’t want any phone calls or visits when I was concentrating on my math. I took the test again in May. I didn’t make it then either but was determined to keep going until I got that diploma.
            In the meantime, after showing my scores to my Pastor, He recommended one of our math teachers in our academy to be my tutor. I took him up on the suggestion and got a tutor. She was a great help. A week or two later. My teacher in class was testing us on math.
            With what I learned with my tutor, I got my math level up higher. I went for the third G.E.D. tests. I didn’t make that one either. I was able to get into the External Diploma Program because of my 8th grade level of math, reading levels. I also passed the writing composition of 150 words on why I wanted that diploma.
            It was to be one on one, once a week. I had to be present and on time. If not for 3 times, I was out and on the waiting list. My work schedule and cab both almost messed it up for me. I called my teacher each time.
            I only had 4 math problems. Sixty more tasks was to get  a thing to show for a concert  I went to and etc. I started it in December OF ’91, finished it in March, received my diploma in April. I aimed to go thru the graduation after going thru all that.
            That night was emotional night for me. I had to work to keep my emotions under control. I mean! This was 30 years later. I finally got to graduate. I even received an award for overcoming obstacles to get my diploma. I was finally fulfilling my desire. I thank God for making it possible for me all in his own good time.

NEXT
PREVIOUS
INDEX to JEANETTE'S WORLD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book One - The Potter and the Clay: 1

Chapter One The Potter and the Clay             This story is to only show how the Lord has worked and still working in my life. I was...