Friday, November 26, 2010

Book One - The Potter and the Clay: 3

CHAPTER  3
FURTHER  AMBITIONS

            Now that I had my diploma, I asked myself- What do I do now? Then I thought about going into Nurse’s Aid Training. I figured nothing would stop me now that I have my diploma. Wrong! First of all, I forgot to ask the Lord.
            I believe He was using my family and friends to steer me in another direction. I wasn’t heeding too well at first. Then one morning I got done early at work and was walking home. My legs were bothering me. I asked myself - how I would do on my feet  for 8 hours. End of discussion. I thought no more about it.
            My sister Dottie who is a Registered Nurse suggested I try volunteer work. At first I didn’t like the idea. But the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea. I talked with this friend in the volunteer office. She had become the Director then.
            I had to get a doctor’s statement. He not only was pleased but approved it too. I had to wait for an opening which finally came. I was to deliver flowers to patients. One day I both did that and worked. I didn’t have to work until 4:00 though. I was on my feet all day except for lunch break. That happened to be on Valentines Day. I never saw so many flowers.
            I also decided to do some research. No better place to go than to the library, take books out or read them there. I did history, especially where my Grandparents came from other countries. I was thinking – Wow! I can get more education with no expense on books, etc, nor tests which I might’ve not passed. I got so excited that I could find what I was looking for in the card index then find the book. I zeroed in other things and enjoyed every minute doing so.
            One afternoon when I came home from volunteering, I went down to Mom and Dad’s as usual. She gave me the idea of retiring. The more I thought of  it, the more I liked it. I was at the right age when you could retire. .
            I went in the next morning to Human Resources. I was told that since I started on my birthday, I had to retire on my birthday to get my retirement pensions. I then wrote my resignation and when I would work until that day. My brother Jerry went with me to see this lady in October about my retirement pensions. I told my friend in the Volunteer Office I plan to take two week vacation. Then I’d come back and volunteer. My last day was on my birthday.

INDEX to JEANETTE'S WORLD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book One - The Potter and the Clay: 1

Chapter One The Potter and the Clay             This story is to only show how the Lord has worked and still working in my life. I was...