Saturday, October 30, 2010

Book Three - Back on the Escalator: 4-6

Chapter  4

HERE WE GO  AGAIN
  
I’ve always said I’ve waited for so many things in my lifetime. I have to say I’m good in waiting for some things. Other things? I’m still working in those areas. I’ve been waiting for some time to see if my cancer count has come down. In the meantime, I’ve had bad backaches and stomach cramps. I had an appointment with Dr. Musa the 13th of June. My cancer count didn’t go down. It went up to 115. Because of my problems with back and stomach, he decided to put me back on chemo. Ann was off that day.

I called Ann Monday morning to tell her I was to have my stent changed. I was to ask Dr. El-Saan if I could start my chemo the next week. I did get to ask him sooner than I expected. I could start my chemo the next week. I have to go for my blood work this coming Monday morning. Then Wednesday I go up to Syracuse to start my chemo the third time around. So back on the escalator I go  with challenges.

This chemo med will have the same thing as  chemo pills had to keep me from being sick. So I won’t need the chemo pills anymore. I’ll still have the nausea pills for if and when I need them. It’ll be interesting to see what my the blood counts and cancer counts will be now that I’ll be back on  chemo. My sister in-law is taking me for the chemo.

In the meantime, I learned how to enlarge the print on my book by watching my Pastor’s wife. After she left, I worked around with it until I was able to do it by myself. I can enlarge the print before I type. In fact! I decided to leave the  print at #12 to do all my work, pertaining to letters. Some people have a hard time reading the small print. It’s easier for me also. I have also found how to remove anything that’s blocking my work. That is an accomplishment.



CHAPTER  5

POSITIVE THOUGHTS

I had my chemo today. The red and white blood counts were good. Platelets also were up where they’re suppose to be. I found that my pain pill (Propoxyphene) will not work against the chemo.

Did I ever tell you that chemo affects the teeth? My dentist and chemo nurse both told me not to use the crest strips on my teeth. When I see Dr. Musa and Ann, I’ll have questions for both of them.
Tonight I was going to turn in early, but when I got to my apartment I called Deb then typed a letter. I almost forgot to mention that this chemo drug is called Gemzar. The prescription is called Gemcitabine. It belongs to a group of medicines called Antimetoblities. It is used to treat cancer of pancreas and lung. It may als  be used to treat other kinds of cancer as determined by my doctor. This chemo is what Dr. Musa chose for me to be on.

I was told it is very strong . If I have a full doze, it could knock my blood counts way down. So I’ll have a half dose for chemo for two weeks then have two weeks off. There’s no set pattern for how long I would be on chemo. It depends on how my cancer count does and I reckon for other things. As he told me once, “Just go day by day.”



CHAPTER  6

PLANS CHANGED

My plans to spend a week with Jerry and Bonnie didn’t pan out or come through. The Sunday before then the four of us went to Ponderosa for lunch. Then we went to Walmart. Clara’s daughter wanted to exchange something. I wasn’t up to shopping that day. Dad and I waited for them. From there we went to Kinney’s to pick up my two meds. I wasn’t feeling too great then so Dad dropped me at my apartment. I was in need for the pain pill as my back was aching furiously and my stomach was cramping badly. Then I felt weak and nauseated. I decided to pull the emergency cord and our night lady came up. I told her what the problem was and she called the ambulance.

They came and took me over to the hospital after asking me questions. I got there just in time because in a few minutes I started  vomiting. I did that off and on. In between those times, I was taken for a CAT scan and blood work. Sometime later a doctor came over to talk to me. He said he was sending me upstairs. Dad and I agreed. They took me up to 3-South.

I was supposed to go for an Ultra Sound the next morning. Dad went over and cancelled the appointment. Then Katie Hayes came in around 7:30 that morning and then came back with Dr. Hayes. After talking with me and asking me questions, he said he was going to call Dr. Musa. I was supposed to have chemo the next day –Tuesday - being Wednesday was the holiday. But I wasn’t getting that either.

In the meantime, I had my nurse call my pastor. He always wants to be brought up to date on everything. She got hold of him and in a short time, He and Judy came. Very Interesting ! He and I were just talking about St. Joe’s Hospital. Shortly after that, a nurse came and told me Dr. Hayes was going to send me to St. Joe’s.

Next I was given few  shots to avoid any blood clots. Then I was given an enema.  They had brought the commode in by my bed.                
Paperwork was done and the ambulance men were there ready to take me up to Syracuse. The ambulance man that was sitting beside me, talked with me most of the way up. I got there around three or so. The nurse who I was to have was there already in my room waiting for me. She was a very good nurse. She did all what she was to do.

Then a resident doctor who was working with Dr. Musa came in to ask me some questions. Then she checked me over. She came in the next morning to check me. Then she came back shortly with Dr. Musa. He told me that the chemo drug could constipate me. He ordered an enema and a prescription for pills.

Around noon or little later, Dad, Bonnie, Clara and her daughter came. Being I was to soon have an enema, I sent them to get a drink. They came back shortly, after I was done. I was released around five.

I went back for my chemo that Friday – two days later. My brother Jerry took me up for my treatment. My red blood count must’ve been good because I didn’t need the Procrit shot. Ann told me I should go for an Ultra-Sound. She faxed some things to Dr. El-Saan’s office. I was to have that the coming Monday Morning. I saw Dr.  Hayes that Friday Morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book One - The Potter and the Clay: 1

Chapter One The Potter and the Clay             This story is to only show how the Lord has worked and still working in my life. I was...